I wrote this guest post for Katie on Sunny Side Up a while back and thought it was worth sharing with y’all!
So who doesn’t love a good date night? Whether it’s a night out on the town with a loved one or an afternoon out with friends, dates are great way to connect with people and to release some of the day’s stresses. My boyfriend Neal and I love to go out on dates, but sometimes a date night at home is just what the doctor ordered.
Date nights at home are great because…
- You can save money
- If you’re a parent, you don’t have to hire a babysitter
- You can get creative
- You can wear your pajamas and watch a movie or you can dress up and have a candle light dinner for 2 at home
- You can try out one of the recipes you’ve seen on Sunny Side Up or Coffee Cake and Cardio
Date nights are important for any relationship, both in romantic relationships and with friends (obviously non romantic dates). A number of my friends are married with children and often share about how difficult it is to go out on dates with their significant other. I know I can’t relate to being married and having kids, but I try to help my friends see how easy it is to have a great night with their husband/wife and how they can rekindle those hot date nights from their past. Even the littlest thing, like a surprise dessert for your loved one can prompt a mini date.
10 ideas for a great date night at home
- Choose a theme and roll with it! Maybe it’s an Italian night, filled with vegetable lasagna and Roman Holiday or a game night filled with your favorite board games and that new recipe you’ve been meaning to try.
- Make your night together a priority. Put the laundry to the side, silence your phone, shut off your computer and focus on your loved one.
- Take turns planning date night. Husband one month, wife the next month. This is a great way to bring excitement into the date planning. It may take a few months to catch on, but it will become something you both look forward to.
- Create traditions together! Neal and I love to watch the Charlie Brown movies that correspond with each holiday for example.
- Watch a sporting event and make stadium food (hotdogs, nachos, etc.).
- Take a look at AFI’s Top 100 Movie list and begin cross them off the list. Netflix is a great way to get movies without having to leave the house.
- Go for a walk together
- Plan an indoor picnic
- Plan a future vacation together and brainstorm ways to save money together (keeping spare change, saving all single dollars you get back in change, etc).
- Go to bed early together
You deserve a date night! If you’re single, plan a fun date with friends and/or try out online dating like match.com or eharmony (I highly recommend it).