Mexican Turkey Meatloaf

Lucky Charms… why do you do this to me?  This morning I decided to pour myself a bowl of Lucky Charms instead of having a bowl of oatmeal as planned.  I poured myself a bowl of cereal and enjoyed every ounce of that sugary goodness.  I enjoyed it so much that I served myself another half bowl.

(source)

As mentioned yesterday in my weekly plan, I am tracking my calories this week with MyPlate, so I realized that I had to measure out my cereal to see how many portions of Lucky Charms I had just consumed.  My brain likes to think, “well you had two bowls of cereal so that’s two servings”, but SEVEN 3/4 cups later I realized that I had just consumed 770 calories worth of Lucky Charms.  On top of that, it’s only 6:15 in the morning.  After milk, I had consumed 930 calories in my first hour of the day.

It was a HUGE eye opener for me.  I can’t even imagine how many calories I’ve consumed on certain days if that’s how many calories I just consumed with Lucky Charms.

Yesterday I consumed 1813 calories and burned 433 calories at the gym.

• Breakfast – 450 calories
  • Lunch- 445 calories
  • Snack- 480 calories
  • Dinner- 440 calories

My other eye opener occurred yesterday when I went to Starbucks for a mid afternoon cocktail.  I decided to order a Grande Skim Pumpkin Spice Latte with no whip thinking it would be somewhere between 150 and 200 calories.  330 calories later, I realized that I need to plan out my Starbucks trips a little better.

Today is going to be tough, as I have already consumed half of my calories, but I know that I can plan out a low calorie dinner and can get a great workout in at the gym.  Although I had planned to take the day off today, I’m thinking a 30 minute workout would be well work it at this point!

Last night for dinner I made a variation of What Katie Said‘s Mexican Turkey Meatloaf…. and it was FANTASTIC!

Ashley’s Mexican Turkey Meatloaf

1 pound lean ground turkey
1 jalapeno, chopped
2 yellow or sweet onion, chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup salsa
1 cup dry oats
1 egg
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

After chopping your onions, add onions to a hot pan with 1 tbsp of oil.  Saute the onions for about 15 minutes or until they are translucent and/or lightly browned.  Set the onions aside, allowing them to cool before adding them to the meatloaf mixture.

Put all other ingredients in a large bowl. Mix until well combined. After the onions have cooled, slowly add them to the meatloaf mixture, mixing well.

Place mixture evenly in greased 9×5 loaf pan or in 4-5 individual loaf pans (disposable ones can be found at your local grocery store). Cook meatloaf for 50 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of the loaf reads 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.

This meatloaf is absolutely amazing!  I loved it so much that I sent Neal the following e-mail…

“I made the most amazing dinner tonight.  If you haven’t eaten and want some you’re soooo welcome to come over.  I made Mexican Meatloaf.  Seriously, it’s amazing.  Love you — Ashley”

Before I knew it Neal was over and enjoying this moist (I hate that word) and healthy dinner.  Neal even said it was the best dinner I’ve ever made for him.  He gave it 5/5 stars!  Pretty good for someone who hates mushrooms!  It’s all about hiding the vegetables.

Well, it’s hard to believe it’s only Tuesday but I’m up and off to the gym.  It has been a busy week so far and I still have a lot to accomplish before Friday, but I always get my work and my graduate work done.  No reason to stress.

Have a wonderful Tuesday!

Comments

1.  says

That’s why Clean Eating has saved me. If it’s more then three steps removed from it’s original form, it’s off the plate. As you can imagine, very few of those cereals make the grade. I don’t’ even like to think of what’s making it ‘Magically Delicious’.

I can’t keep anything like like, Frosted Flakes, any of it or I’ll eat it all in a go. Once I started really being mindful realized it wasn’t something I really wanted going into my body at all.

So I don’t know if it helps you, but for me, Clean Eating sort of took away all the trigger foods by default and gave me a lot less to stress/fail over. That stuff is nasty, it’s like a nutritional void,lol. I know if I ate it now I’d get sick.

Hey Holly! This really is helpful. I appreciate you sharing about Clean Eating and how it’s helped you stay away from trigger foods. I’m learning a lot about myself right now and I feel like if I can conquer these binges and limit non whole foods from my diet that I’ll be able to lose my last bit of excess weight and step into a new level of health.

When you figure out the key let me know. I’m sure you understand how stupid I feel to be controlled by a box of cereal.

*sigh*

I can do amazing things, but I have not mastered the art of cereal control.

You are so on point! I love it. It’s so true “Even if i don’t eat it, I’m thinking about not eating it, or how much I can maybe eat later, then I’m like. screw it, I’m eating it. I’ll show that box of cereal who is boss!” Too funny!!

I LOVE CEREAL. But, I rarely buy any kind other than Smart Bran (for the fiber) and Kamut or Millet Puffs (1 cup= 50 cal, no sugar). I have no concept of portion control when it comes to cereal- and really- 3/4 of a cup is a serving? Are you kidding me??!! Who would ever eat 3/4 cup of cereal?? So, with the cereal I DO buy, it’s perfectly fine to have 2 cups of it.
    And I totally agree with what Holly said about the Clean Eating approach. Once you learn what is in crap like “kids cereals” and processed foods in general, you won’t even want to eat them.
    Oh- and also- LOVE the single-serve meatloaf idea! I’m totally getting some of those little pans!!

Hey Lauren! Thanks for your prospective. It’s funny to think that the things I binge on are all things I’ve brought into the house. It’s not like someone is sneaking Lucky Charms into my house. lol. That is something I can totally manage, what I buy and what I don’t buy.

You’ll love the mini loaf tins!

Lucky Charms used to be one of my main binge foods. All that sugar and cereal had always been off limits for me. I hardly ever eat cereal because it’s so freaking hard to eat just ONE serving!! Have you tried ever tried almond milk? It’s half the calories of skim of milk.

As for your morning, don’t worry about! Just take a deep breath and realize occasionally you might eat a few too many Lucky Charms. Life’s too short to beat yourself up. And don’t starve yourself for the rest of the day because you’ll make yourself more vulnerable to overeat later. Happy Tuesday!

I think at the end of the day if it’s a food that takes up time and conversation and second guessing, I rule it out. I’m not being snarky, this really is how I got rid of a lot of stuff (that like you I bought myself).

I’d realize that I’d just had a twenty minute conversation about something I ate and why and how bad I felt when I could have been talking about something that would make me feel good. Or listening to something someone else had to say.

I’d be like WTF? did I just talk to three people about how I ate this box of Frosted Flakes? Really? Given a healthy dose of perspective, I begin to see what I was allowing to influence SO much of my time was, well, it was a freakin’ Frosted Flake.

That was when I really got how we allow food to permeate every aspect of our lives. It’s food. It doesn’t really make me happy, or sad or fulfill me. Maybe making it does, sharing it does, but it’s food.

I’m not saying this is true for anyone else or making a judgment call or anything like that, just sharing my WTF?! moment when I finally got that I had better things to do then manage Frosted Flakes. I was like, ok, FF, you win, I won’t buy you anymore. The Cereal War was over.

Holly this is great! You’re 100% right, the Cereal War is over and it can totally be over for everyone. I really appreciate you perspective. Thanks for being honest about what you go through, we’ve ALL been there. Even tonight I was like “ahh, this meatloaf is so good I want more” but I’m TOTALLY satisfied and don’t need anymore. Self talk is tough to defeat but it’s one decision at a time I guess.

6. Liz says

As far as Starbucks goes, I usually go for the skinny version. I know that means it uses sucralose instead of real sugar, but these are the choices we make. Also, using soy instead of the milk is usually a little lighter on the calorie side. That’s what I’ve done to combat the Starbucks calorie rule. So a skinny vanilla latte with soy is about 130 calories.

Good luck with the counting. It is really shocking how quickly the numbers add up.

• Liz says

Funny enough. I think I saw someone tweet about the skinny pumpkin today. I haven’t tried that one though. I’m sure they do.

Oh, soy chai teas are my favorite. yum. Probably not 100 calories though. I haven’t checked that one.

Starbucks’ website has great nutrition info with breakdowns by size & add-ons.

First. I have a rule when it comes to cereal and that is “there will always be 2 bowls”. And I love Lucky Charms. I think you’re doing such a great job on your healthy eating :-D. When I drink starbucks drinks (other than my two usual caffeine fixes) I always get the tall size because they are all under 300 calories. Just a little tip.

Trackbacks