My Scaleless Summer

This summer I tried out a Scaleless Summer, where I put away the scale and focused on what I was putting in my mouth instead of focusing on the number on the scale.  I started out the summer weighing 217 pounds.  About a month later I went to the doctors and weighed in at 213, totally forgetting that I wasn’t suppose to look, but was really excited about my weight loss.  My plan to fill half of my plate with veggies before adding protein and carbs was working well and creating weekly meal plans on Sundays left me feeling great.  My workouts were all over the place, but I knew I was making some good decisions in regards to what I was putting in my mouth.

July was a really stressful month for me as I tackled 2 graduate classes, interviewed for a new job, rocked the house on my current job (at the time), accepted a new job, and went on a vacation with Neal to Florida.  Still, by the end of July I was feeling great and knew I had lost/maintain my weight.

August was another story though.  I love the summer, but with the heat comes lots of eating out (baseball games, happy hours, dinners with friends, etc.).  Although I love the summer, it can be a challenge to know how many calories I’m consuming each day.  In addition, I’ve really been struggled with overeating since August.  It could have been stress or it could have just been my inability to say no to the foods I love.  Either way I have consumed way too many calories in one setting on a number of occasions.

As of yesterday, I weighted in at 226.6 pounds.  I was honestly shocked to see my weight that high.  I don’t feel like I’ve gained almost 10 pounds this summer nor do I think I look like I’ve gained 10 pounds.  It could be muscle mass, as I do put on muscle rather easily and have boosted my workouts up.  Either way, 226 at the end of a scaleless summer is not where I wanted to me.

I have learned a lot this summer, both about my workouts, my eating habits, and about my mentality surrounding weight loss.  To some degree I feel that I have been on a 4 year plateau.  My weight has gone up and down during that time, and as of June I was 9 pounds from my lowest weight (209 in the summer of 2007).

I want to will defeat this plateau.  I want to will break 200 pounds.  I want to will love myself through the entire process.

This past week I focused on counting calories.  It was really helpful to see how many calories I had been consuming and to focus on what it takes to consume the proper amount of calories needed to lose/maintain weight (1533 calories for me).  I didn’t count calories during this weekend’s getaway to Cleveland and I honestly regret it.  I feel like I’m back at a point in my life where my habits are not good habits.  Until I create lasting healthy habit, I need to always be focused on weight loss and what I’m trying to learn/implement.  Here’s what the weekend looked like sans counting calories/thinking about weight loss…

Saturday

• coffee at Jill’s
  • food samples at the market
  • cup of soup and a slice of bread at the Souper Market
  • 1.5 mini cannolis
  • 1 medium mate latte
  • 2 PB and J sandwiches (which I had packed for Friday but didn’t eat then)
  • 1/2 of Porky Cheese sandwich at Melt with fries
  • 1 more bite of a cannoli

Sunday

• coffee at Jill’s
  • soy chai and raspberry scone at The Root Cafe
  • Other half of Porky Cheese sandwich
  • Diet Pepsi, yogurt covered raisins, and honey wheat pretzel rods during road trip
  • cranberry orange scone and soy chai from Starbucks
  • 3 slices of banana bread at home (from neighbor)

Sunday was pretty bad, as I could have made so many different choices.  Take the banana bread for instance, my super sweet neighbor brought it over when I got home last night and because I was too tired to cook dinner, I just opted to eat the banana bread.  The banana bread would have been a perfect addition to my breakfast … over the course of a week.  Instead I ate it in one night.  (I’m being honest here guys)

The Scaleless Summer was not a loss by any means.  I rekindled my “love” for running and have started training for a 15K with Neal.  I also learned a lot about my body, my portion sizes, and what it’ll take to lose weight and create healthy habits.   Over the past three months I have learned what my two main issues are in regards to my eating… 1. Eating when I’m not hungry 2. Rare binge eating sprees.  As Neal said though, “it’s nothing I can’t conquer”.

Yesterday I jump started my quest to break 200 pounds with the start of The Biggest Loser.  I consumed 1599 calories and burned 984 calories at spin.  I really felt great yesterday and stuck to my meal plan.  The only thing I added was carrots and hummus after work and a salad with my pizza.  This morning Neal and I ran 3 miles in 33 minutes and I burned 569 calories.  Again, I feel like I do a great job of planning but for me the key is sticking to my plan and not binge eating.

Here’s to a happy and healthy fall!

Comments

Learning a lot is good, even if your results aren’t really what you hoped for. I bet you put on lots of muscle especially if you’ve upped your workouts. When I was in college I was working out like 2-4 hours a day at the gym and I lost no weight at all because I wasn’t eating enough for how much I was burning. Strange but it happened. Hopefully you’ll figure it out.

Don’t be too hard on yourself! Losing weight is a battle and it’s hard enough without the self hatred. I definitely admire the weight loss determination. I feel like I’m in the same situation: that I’m just determined to lose that weight. Have you thought about trying Weight Watchers? I know you have to pay for it but I find it much easier to count points (and I’ve lost 15lbs in 1.5 months) and the meetings really help holding you accountable. Eating less than 1600 calories while burning 986 seems kinda low to me. You might be able to prevent the binges if you eat a little more during the day. Mucho hugs and I bet that you will have a healthy and happy fall!!

Hey Sarah! As always, thank you for you message. I really hope that I don’t come across as being hard on myself. I really learned a lot from this summer and am feeling great as I move forward. I was surprised to weight 10 pounds more but it happens as Maren shared.

I actually lost my first 50 pounds with the help of weight watchers. I really love the company, but I really want to lose this weight creating habits that I know I can learn without paying $ each month. I may rejoin at some point, but right now I’m really enjoying my journey.

Yesterday was a total fluke. I almost always eat eat 1500-1600 beyond my workouts but I really wasn’t hungry yesterday beyond the initial 1500 calories, if that makes sense.

Again, I really appreciate everything you share. Thank you for supporting me in my journey.

Ashley

3. 3dbodies says

Hi Ashley,

lovely greetings from Germany. I’ve seen your big calves: they’re really very impressive! You got to win a fan: myself! With these “motors” you will really burn down your body fat par excellence in some weeks. Are you married yet, dear Ashley ;-D? Your eyes and this smile are very nice too! I only lost weight if I run … 2x/week for 12.5 km (in 1h 10 min – 1h 20 min). Now I’m down from size 38 to 35, 98 kg to 89 kg in 6 weeks. And doing acupungture against “the drug”: chocolate. It really helps.

Ciao bella

3dbodies

4. 3dbodies says

You must not be jealous. Why didn’t spend your holidays here (is it possible here to post xml code??? – I’ll try it):

put the next lines into an editor (if it’s possible ;-D), save as “dresden.kml” and import it here: http://www.bing.com/maps/
    Its part of my jogging path!

Nicht gespeicherte Orte

Brücke “Blaues Wunder”
    jogging path

13.808092227694054,51.054230243714464

If not: I could mail you some nice Dresden pics. But I have not find en email to send it. My email is: 3dbodies(at)arcor.de

5. Laura @Joyful Shimmy says

Hi Ashley,
    Thank you for your honesty and this is agreT post. I love the awareness that you gained over this past scaleless summer. It’s huge awareness that will guide you as you move forward to reaching our goal.

Personally in my own experience on weight loss, loving my body and recovering from binge eating among other things, it all comes down to am I making loving choices that support the life I want to live? When I eat when I’m not hungry, a question that I ask myself is what I’m trying to avoid dealing? Am I acting over boredom? Fear? Feeling that I don’t want to deal? This awareness has been huge in my own path. My story is that I no longer deal with binge episodes in my life. I do practice intuitive eating, I work out regularly because I have learn to love it and my body progressively started to release the weight.