I “Hate” Running!

I have a confession, I secretly want to hate running but I just keep falling for it.  It woos me.  It teases me.  It shows me time and time again that my body is stronger than my mind.

When I was a child, I feared running.  I was overweight, I struggled with my asthma, and I feared not being able to finish (well, I still feel these things some times).  I remember crying halfway through the mile run in PE class a number of times.  I hated running!

Back in 2006, when I moved to Dartmouth, I decided to take my weight struggles to the treadmill.  I was eating less with the help of the Weight Watchers CORE program but I needed to change my workouts.  I was comfortable using the elliptical and wanted nothing to do with the treadmill.  When I first started running, I worked out on the elliptical for 20-30 minutes before moving to the treadmill.  Being warmed up was key, especially for my asthma.

In August 2006, I was running 2-5 minutes at a time and then walking for 2-5 minutes.  By March 2007, I was running 40-50 minutes straight.  It took some time, but each run I increased the amount of time I was running and started to decrease the amount of time I was walking.  I got into a zone and trained my body to run.  I was a runner!

Over the past 2 years I have run a 5 miler, a 10K, a 15K, and a half marathon.  I have trained a lot and now secretly love running!  Running is still a struggle for me, as I don’t have proper form and I still battle asthma, but the way I feel after a run is well worth it!

A few weeks ago, Neal and I ran a 15K race which we spent 3 months training for.  Since then, we’ve run here and there but man oh man am I ready to get back to training.  Unfortunately I don’t run for pleasure.  I run to workout.  I run to burn calories.  I run to compete in races.  And I run to fuel my competitive nature.

So now that our 15K training is complete, what’s next??  Well, here’s what I’m eyeballing…

New Years Day 5K – January 1, 2012

Frozen 5K – January 8, 2012

Virginia is For Lovers 14K – February 11, 2012

Run the Love You’re With 5K – February 13, 2012

St. Patrick’s Day 8K – March 11, 2012

Charlottesville 10 Miler – March 31, 2012

Parkway Classic 10 Miler  – April 22, 2012

What’s your experience with running?  Do you like to run?  If you do, what keeps you going?

Today’s Meal Plan (Weight Watchers Weigh In Tonight, Eek)

Breakfast – Frozen peas and corn, sautéed spinach, turkey bacon, egg whites, 2 slices of bread (8PP)

Lunch – Tomato Basil Soup (4PP)

Snacks – Clementines, hummus, carrots, square of cabot cheese (4PP)

Dinner – Mystery Menu (something at home– I’m thinking sautéed spinach and garlic with pasta)

Today’s Workout Plan (#20daychallenge)

3 mile run — DONE!  Ran 2.96 miles in 34:46 @ 5:45AM

Comments

I love running. Like you, I HATED running as a child….hated PE….mostly because I had a large chest at a young age and you can imagine the many problems that came along with that. Now, however, that I have discovered sports bras, I LOVE running….it’s just the cold/dark that’s killing me. The only time I can exercise is early in the morning (before the twins are up) or late at night (after they are in bed. This was fine for running when it was light out but I don’t want to run in the dark by myself. And hubby can’t go with me…..obviously can’t leave the 2-year-olds alone even if they are sleeping. And the treadmill seems really loud when you don’t want to wake those 2-year olds up. Sorry this comment is so long!

Thank you so much for sharing Catherine. I do appreciate your post especially as I hope to have kids myself one day. I’m on the same page as you with not wanting to run in the dark by myself. What workouts have you found to do over the winter?

Yup- I was also one of the children that dreaded running in PE class. I remember that one day of the year when we had to “run the mile,” I would pray for SOMETHING to happen to get me out of class. Of course it never did, and I often cried while pushing through it. I would have never thought that as an adult I would CHOOSE to run and even worse- PAY to run in races!
    There is just something about running (especially trail-running for me) that gives you that high that just can’t be matched. I do have to say though- my run on the tredmill this morning just didn’t give me that same pleasure. :)

Yeah, I’ve found that my best treadmill runs occur when there’s a good TV show on or movie playing. I need something to distract me. Miss you!

I dont think I realised how much I loved running, until I stopped. And now, I am most looking forward to running again after baby BBB is born!

4. Lou says

I hated running as a kid (same reasons as you: overweight, asthma etc etc). A few years back, I really got into it and could do a few km’s before I had to stop. Then I stopped running and your posts actually make me think about taking it up again. What’s stopping me, I hear you ask? Well I’ve put on a bit of weight recently, but when I did run, I lost a lot of weight, so it’s a no brainer really lol!

My only problem with running is my boobs. They’re big. I used to wear two sports bras and it was bearable. Maybe I need to up the support, or wear a crop top or something on top of the two…I don’t know!

It’s tough getting back into running, but your body is tough and will totally adjust. In a month or two you’ll look back and be amazed at how you’ve adjusted. You can do it! Just start slow.

I was definitely one of those kids in PE too, and up until 3-4 years ago, I had never run more than a mile. My parents were runners and my dad ran marathons when I was a kid, so I always had this idea of running as amazing and sort of awe-inspiring in my head. I figured “what the heck?” I might as well try – and it totally changed my mind about what my body and my brain could do. I haven’t run in almost a year…but I signed up for a 5 miler in May for the American Cancery Society, so I’m really excited to get back to training!

I’m not sure I love it yet but I definitely love the results when I get on the scale. There is a small part of me that does love running only because I never thought I’d be doing it. I’ve been overweight my whole life and never liked any kind of exercise. In fact, I kinda don’t like to sweat (though I’m getting over that) so I just avoided it. Now I’m kind of loving it because it’s new and I’ve never done it before, at least not for long periods of time. So I spent this year walking in about half a dozen races (5Ks and a 9K) and I’m hoping to do even more races next year and some of them to run, at least a portion of the time.

It is amazing how running can slowly lead to greater things. Many people start with the intention of losing a few pounds and then 2 years later are running marathons. Some theories suggest that humans are natural runners, or that we evolved to run. Running is certainly the easiest and most natural of exercises to do, and very effective at getting you fit. Although saying that, I love my elliptical!