In my life so far, I have moved to 15 different states/countries. Growing up in an Air Force family, moving was just what we did. We lived somewhere for roughly two years and then moved on to our next location. Even since moving out of my parents house I have continued to move around. Since returning to the Washington, DC area in 2007, I have moved apartments/homes 6 times, but it has been nice staying in one area for more than two years. Although I love staying put, there’s just something exhilarating about moving to a new place, getting a fresh start, and changing my environment.
Although I loved living in Alexandria, VA moving to a different part of the DC area has brought about a lot of positive change! As I shared last week after reading Weight Loss Boss, changing ones environment is a huge part of creating a lifestyle that is conducive for weight loss. Aka, a healthy environment can help you to live a healthy life.
Moving has been great for many, many reasons but here are some of my favorite reasons…
1. I live with my best friend and future husband (you knew that one had to be number 1)
2. My commute is must shorter! 6 minute walk to the Metro, 20 minute metro ride, and a short shuttle ride or 1 mile walk to work.
3. I have an awesome gym in my apartment building and a Golds Gym close by if I decide to join it for the classes.
4. I have been able to create fun and healthy meals for Neal and I each night.
5. I have a washer and dryer in my apartment!! I’m not going to miss spending $12 every time I do my laundry.
6. I live closer to my Aunt Danielle and some of my fabulous friends (shout out to Becky and Lauren).
7. We live much closer to a church we love!
I know that not everyone gets the opportunity to move and to get a fresh start, but there are still plenty of ways you can change your environment and create a healthier and happier lifestyle.
1. Clean out your pantry and donate foods.
2. Create a new workout program. Whether you have a gym membership or not, there are plenty of programs you can do even from the comfort of your home.
3. Create a space just for you. Do you love reading? Create a reading nook. Do you love cooking? Try out a new recipe once a week. Do you love to workout? Don’t let anything interrupt that time.
4. Evaluate your friendships and relationships. Do you have friendships that are destructive? Do you have relationships that pull you down and discourage you? It takes a lot, but you can change these relationships or get rid of them. I love my friends and relationships, but when someone is clearly pulling my life down or putting me down then I have to make a decision. Remember that you are in control of your life!
5. Create a plan for cleaning your home. Take one room a week and clean things out and organize. You will feel like a new person, I promise.
So what helps you to change your environment? What tips do you have for Coffee, Cake and Cardio readers?
Filed under: Weight Loss
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!