Scaleless Summer 2012

The summer is officially here and boy did she bring some heat with her!  Today is suppose to be a scoreture but I am really excited that it is now officially summer.

Growing up I hated the summer.  The summer meant hot weather, sweating profusely, and wearing less clothes, aka revealing more of my body to the public.  I loved the colder months because I could hide behind my jeans and a hoodie, which I admit I still like to do sometimes.  Over the past 5 years however, the summertime has quickly become one of my favorite times of year as I’ve lost weight, gotten into shape, and learned to love my body more.

cartwheel

I love going to the beach/pool, wearing my bathing suit, watching baseball, trekking around DC, traveling, and soaking up some rays.

Summer

My body weight has been up and down over the past 3 years, but for the most part I have fluctuated between 215 and 225 (give or take).  Even with my weight loss plateau, I am a much stronger person (mentally and physically) than I was 3 years ago.  As I share in My Journey, I went through a rough patch about 3 years ago which cased some weight gain and depression.  Despite those events however, I have worked hard to stay connected with my quest to live a healthy and happy life and have maintained my weight (losing and gaining the same 10 pounds) over the past 3 years.

July 4, 2010 on left and July 4, 2011 on the right

Last summer I decided to go scaleless and although I didn’t lose any weight last summer, I really learned a lot about myself and how transitions affect my body.  A few weeks ago I decided that I wanted to give the scaleless summer another go (I’m smelling a tradition here)!  Over the past year I have learned so much about myself and my body and with the proper balance between pain and pleasure, this summer can be fantastic!

The scaleless summer will run from today (June 20, 2012) until September 21, 2012 (the first day of Fitbloggin).  What this means is that I will not weigh myself for the next 93 days. WHAAT?!?

On June 11, 2012 I weighed in at 225.2

From last summer I can tell you that it is the most freeing experience, but you have to be connected with your body, how you feel, when you’re hungry, and when you’re not hungry.  The scale for me is a way to track if I’m “doing well or if I’m doing poorly”, but as my sister shared last night, the scale is not the best reflection of how you are doing (she claims that I look the fittest she’s every seen me but I technically weigh 18 pounds more than my lowest weight).  Having to give up the scale can be scary, but it forces you to focus on other tools for tracking your health, fitness, and body weight.

Last summer I set a goal for myself, and that was to lose 15-20 pounds… yeah, that didn’t happen… so this year I want to be realistic with my goal setting.

My Plan

• Follow the Tone It Up nutrition plan pre and post wedding/honeymoon
  • Continue to plan out my meals for the week ahead on Sundays
  • Utilize what I have in my pantry, minimizing what I purchase at the grocery store
  • Go to the farmers market every Saturday to pick up fresh/seasonal produce
  • Workout for 30 minutes every morning (#bootycall)

My Goals

• Do not weigh myself
  • Enjoy every ounce of my wedding and honeymoon!
  • Lose weight
  • Learn more about myself and what life is like without a bathroom scale

This summer I’m going scaleless!! Who’s with me?

Comments

1.  says

I’m going scaleless for 60 days while I challenge myself to workout 6 days a week! The last time I went scaleless for just a month I didn’t lose any weight, but I also abused it as a chance to eat more because I knew I didn’t have to weigh in each coming week. This time my focus is different and my motivation is higher so I’m excited to see what happens! Good luck to you!

I think this is a GREAT idea. That scale can be so evil- and if it dictates how you feel about yourself (which it can for me) – it’s NO good. I have to weigh in weekly for fitmixer bootcamp- and I hate that. I understand why they make us do it, but still- it sucks.
    You have MUCH more important things to focus on this summer than worrying about a stupid number to drag you down (or lift you up)!
    And for the record- you look amazingly healthy AND STRONG to me (and everyone else)! xoxo

I have too decided to neglect the scale…and it is really hard for me. I have not gotten on the scale in a week. Jumping on the scale is a ritual for me in the morning so I am adapting very slowly. Why do we measure ourselves with a number…I like that I can’t fit into my jeans and I had to buy new ones. Power to the scaleless!!!

4. Kelly says

Oh boy…I can’t believe that I would even consider this. I am going to try this goal for the summer. Probably not as long as you but maybe until we start back to school in August.

Oh and we take the boys to their very first NATS game next month!!! Super excited :-)

That’s fantastic Kelly! I know it’s scary, but you can do this.

I’m also thrilled about your kids first Nats game. I hope they have a wonderful time!

• Kelly says

should be a blast. We got awesome seats and the game means a little more now that they have had one season of TBall under their belts

I think it’s great that you can do this and it shows how strong you are mentally!
    I still have a long way to go in my weightloss journey and I don’t think I’m quite ready to go scaleless, but it’s definitely something I want to do at some point.
    The past few weeks I haven’t lost any weight, but I’ve been running regularly (and ran my first 5k race) and people have been complimenting me all week about how great I look. Even though the scale doesn’t show it, I feel so much better than I did months ago :)

This is an amazing idea…but I don’t think I could do it. I will be cheering you on and looking forward to hearing about your experience though! It definitely sounds like a great idea and like you have some really awesome reasons for it. Best of luck!

I will not be going scaleless, just because I don’t think I’m personally in a place where I can control myself and not over induldge because of the fact that I’m not weighing in. But I think it is fabulous that you have this ability. I really applaud you with the fact that you have stated (in different words) that the weight loss journey is not just about losing weight. There’s so much more to it,t that I think a lot of people miss out on, or forget about. You have really done so well with this, you’re a great healthy living example.

Trackbacks