Mission Back to Basics

Now that I have analyzed my past and have shared my thoughts, feelings, and emotions with y’all, it’s time to get back to the basics.  Mission back to basics if you will.

farmers market

• Fruits
  • Veggies
  • Lean meats
  • Light dairy or soy
  • Limit complex carbs
  • Limit processed foods
  • Add lots of flavor (spices)
  • Drink lots of water
  • Have a blast working out

Yesterday I focused on these basics, keeping in mind my goals and striving to end my day feeling great.

I started the day with a berry cherry smoothie for breakfast, made with Trader Joe’s Berry Cherry frozen fruit, coconut water, and a scoop of protein powder.

smoothie

For lunch I had a 1/2 cup of brown rice, 1/2 cup of fat free refried beans and pickled jalapenos!! A favorite lunch of mine. A few hours later I had an apple, a banana, and a cherry coke zero.  (Sorry for the lack of lunch time/snack time photos).

When I got home from work, my husband of 1 month (YAY!) surprised with me a card waiting for me on my pillow.  His words totally brought a smile to my face and made me feel great.

Before dinner, Neal and I headed down to our apartment’s gym for an evening workout.

Neal and Ashley

Since injuring my back last Wednesday, I’ve made a lot of effort to walk as much as possible since I had to hold off on working out.  Yesterday I walked the mile from the metro to work and then again from work to the metro (2 miles total).  Although it’s only been 6 days since hurting my back, I was feeling great and decided I was ready to hit the treadmill.

workout

Early on in my run I decided that I was going to focus on mileage instead of time, working to crank out 2 miles.  It had been a while since I had run, but I was feeling great! I ended the workout running 2 miles in 23:30 (11:65 min mile pace average).  My fastest pace during my run was a 5 minute run at 6.8 mph or 8:49 mph pace.  Pretty good for my first run back.

Coming home, I felt wicked awesome.  I was sweating profusely, proud of what I had accomplished, and excited about Neal’s dinner!  You see, Neal works for home on Tuesdays so he’s taken it on as his night to cook.

For dinner last night Neal made us turkey burgers (taco salad were week 1)!

Cooking

Neal seasoned up some turkey burgers, sliced up veggies, and cooked some broccoli for me.  What was awesome though was the design Neal made with the onions on our burgers… Olympic burgers baby!

burger

It was the perfect post run/back to basics/1 month anniversary dinner!

burger

At the end of the day I went to bed happy, knowing that I had reached my goals and had successfully completed mission back to basics… day 1.

So tell me, what are your health and fitness basics?

Comments

mmm all your food looks so good. that berry cherry smoothie sounds good, gonna have to look for that frozen fruit next time I’m at Trader Joes

2. Meghan says

I’m a new reader, and I have to say I started following you because of your struggle with weight loss. It’s a struggle for me too! Just like it is for so many others out there! My main struggle is dealing with peer pressure to eat unhealthy. Yes, I can have willpower and say no to unhealthy foods as much as possible. I can go to the supermarket and make sure I buy wholesome foods that will fuel my body. But what am I supposed to do when my roommate comes home and makes red velvet cake and bacon cheeseburgers and asks me repeatedly if I want any? Weight loss is a journey, and I made the same decision today to get back on track. To hell with the negative “oh you can’t eat this on your diet” comments. If you can’t go a day without thinking about it, then you can’t give up!

Congrats on a successful day- that is the best feeling ever!
    And how sweet of Neal to leave you that card! I love thoughtful gestures like that. :)
    For me, I know what the “basics” are for losing weight- and making a list of what I should eat and stuff just doesn’t help. It’s totally the mental aspect that I need to connect with (and that’s what I am determined to figure out!). It goes so much beyond what to eat for me.
    Have a great day again today and kick some butt!

I wish my house had a gym! That’d make my life. I like your nutritious eating plan. I need a little more of that in my life, that’s for sure.

First off HUGS!! I’m just now catching up on all of this and I feel the same way about the people I work with. They know I have been trying to lose weight for all the years I have been here and they have seen me not succeed. I started back with WW on Sunday. It’s had and it is a struggle every day. I’m trying to do what I was doing before I moved here and that was working out a lot. And eating right.

Love this post and all the pretty veggie pics! I also was lusting after your super pretty blue Le Creuset (sp?) I have it’s cousin that’s a gorgeous aqua color that I need to use more often, but I just love that blue!!!

good work! :)

my basics = lots of fruits & veggies, lots of water, and lots of movement. i don’t need to fit in an intense workout every day and don’t beat myself up if i don’t. if i reach the end of the day and my fit bit has 10,000 steps on it, i’m happy!

Trackbacks