Crossfit Rockville

Today was a long time coming, but I finally made it out to Crossfit Rockville.   Crossfit is a strength and conditioning program which utilizes weight lifting, running, and plyometrics as its core.  There are quite a few Crossfit boxes in Washington, DC but when I learned that Crossfit Rockville was moving to the Rockville metro station, I knew I had to sign up for an introduction class.

Crossfit Rockville

I actually signed up a few weeks ago and thankfully have healed from my back strain since then.  All week I was anxious and excited to try Crossfit out.  What drew me to the program was its intensity and use of olympic lifts. As a discus and hammer thrower, I utilized olympic lifting for my strength training and fitness.  I loved it and have been eager to return to it.

Ashley

This morning I woke up at 6AM to walk Theodore.  I was already pumped and nervous for my 12PM class and it was 6 hours away.  Around 8:30AM Neal and I decided to nix the farmers market and run a few errands instead.  We got a few things done on my car and then ran to Trader Joes.  Before I knew it, it was 11:15AM and time to head over to Crossfit!!

When I arrived, I was so pumped to see all of the members stats on the board.  I loved seeing their max lifts and to see what all of the women were lifting!  It was awesome!

Crossfit Rockville

There was a class finishing up when I arrived, which was good because it gave me a chance to see a everyday WOD (workout of the day).  Those athletes were sweating.  And I mean sweating!

Once everyone arrived for the intro class our trainer began to tell us more about Crossfit, their philosophy, and how the workouts will work.  The trainer began to explain that most workouts last only 10 minutes (some workouts are longer).  You might be thinking, how is such a short workout going to aid in fat loss and increased fitness abilities?  Well, although the workouts may only last 10 minutes some days, you are working out at your max ability/exertion.  In addition, the classes are 1 hour, so you’ll spend 10-15 minutes warming up, 15 minutes going through the workout/technique with your trainer, and then 10+ minutes doing your workout.

After talking through the program, we got set up and began to discuss our WOD (workout of the day).  For the intro class, the trainer has us do the following…

AMRAP (As Many Reps As Possible) 10 Minutes

• 10 thrusters (squat with a push press)
  • 10 burpees
  • 10 situps

The workout required us to do the set of 30 (10 thrusters, 10 burpees, and 10 situps) as many times as possible in 10 minutes. I was nervous as heck before we got started but when the gun goes off (or your trainer says go) you have to throw your fears out the window.  This workout sucked!  I’m just going say it.  I felt super strong doing the thrusters, but the burpees wore me out.  They definitely sucked the energy from me.  The situps, which my trainer said would be like a cool down, were not easy for me either.  Maybe it’s my back strain, but they took me forever it seemed.  After set one I was like “CRAP, that was only one set … come one Ashley, keep up with everyone!”.  In the end I finished with the following stats…

Ashley – 4 rounds + 20 (I did 10 thrusters and 10 burpees but the clock hit 10 minutes when I was about to begin my situps so these counted as a partial set).

Crossfit Rockville

For only being a 10 minute workout, it kicked my tail! Thankfully I had a good walk home in order to cool down.  I will admit that I thought I was going to upchuck once while walking home but it honestly hurt so good.

Ashley

So am I going to join Crossfit?  We shall see.  I’m battling a few emotions and also need to make sure I can take on the membership cost (not cheap).  A few times today I felt like I was back in PE class, looking around and feeling like the fat kid.  The tall and lean athletes around me intimidated me and made me feel insecure.  Will I feel that way every week?  Will I be able to do some of the moves required for Crossfit (pullups, gymnastics moves, etc.) or will I fail?

On the flip side, I need this.  I need a workout to take me to the next level, I need a workout that pulls me out of my comfort zone, and I need a workout that in the end will rebuild my confidence in my muscles and strength.

As the day comes to an end, I am proud of myself for trying out Crossfit and for conquering my fears.  My tired legs and I are off to bed but I am excited to see where we go from here.

**Please note that after attending CrossFit Extreme Fitness I had an extremely negative interaction with the owner Judd.  He was rude, judgmental, and egotistical.  There are many other CrossFit boxes in Washington DC and would recommend trying out one of those!

Comments

Aww I’m sorry you felt like that. I totally know what you mean… that’s definitely something that would make me nervous about doing Crossfit. I’ve heard wonderful things about boxes being like families, but I’m a little skeptical because sometimes it almost comes off as a “club” that you have be invited into. I don’t know. I hope that if you do decide to do Crossfit you end up having fun :)

I should totally clarify. The Crossfit box was amazing. They were supportive and didn’t make me feel insecure, it was just me. Me comparing myself to the fit first timers.

Awesome!!!! Way to make it out there!!! I want to make it to one of the free weekend workouts, but I’m definitely intimidated and I can’t really make the financial commitment right now since I joined another gym. But I think it would definitely be super motivational! And fun!

3. Dara says

You are a rockstar! I’m honestly so impressed that you went to Crossfit. And I was inspired to try that brutal circuit at the end of my workout and it was crazy hard, I feel you.
    I can totally understand/imagine feeling intimidated but just keep doing your thing, girl! You’re a champ!

4. Betsy e says

Awesome job!! I was also a collegiate athlete and over the years have struggled with my weight and not
    Pushing myself the way I needed to. My first CrossFit class was 5 months ago and since then I have felt sooner and more confident than I have in the last 7 years!! Its tough, and yes, the more experienced crossfitters were intimidating but it’s such a great community of motivation. The cost is a hard pull to swallow but for me it’s so worth it because I don’t push myself the way I do when the coaches are there. Plus i’m still a huge competitor so I love the individual competition of pushing your limits! Some of the boxes around hampton roads have a punch card option, instead of the monthly fee.

In the last 5 months, I’ve lost 8 inches…give it some time, with your athletic background, I believe you will thrive in the CrossFit community.

5. Betsy e says

And one more thing, there is no move or skill in CrossFit that cannot be modified to meet your skill level. I still do pushups on my knees and use a thick band for pullups assistance. It took me 3 months to get my 20 inch box jump. It was one of the proudest athletic moments I’ve had in years. Don’t be embarrassed or insecure about modifying whatever you need to do to get the most out of the workout for yourself. It’s all about you and what you’re looking to get out of it! Ok off CrossFit soapbox now!!! :-)

YOU RULE! I’m so pumped that you did this!! I think that it’s totally for you- especially with your lifting background. I’ve never actually been to a cross-fit gym, but did the exact same workouts with my trainer before my wedding- and they definitely give results!
    The only downside is the COST of the Cross-fit gyms. Seriously, why are they so damn expensive?! Luckily, if you learn some of the workouts (which you can find on Youtube and other places) you can do a lot of them at home or in your own gym and save a lot of $$.
    I am a BIG FAN of working out for as little time as possible- long gone are the days of spending an hour on a machine!

7. Kelly says

my cousin co-owns two crossfit gyms here in NoVA. He is addicted and in amazing shape for a 43 year old. I love the idea of crossfit but I don’t have the funds to pay for it. I’m thinking a lot about what my workouts are going to look like here shortly and some type of tabata/cross fit blend will likely make its way into my future. If only they had Cross fit for kinect :-)

Trackbacks

1. […] room.  Over the past year I have worked on my strength in other ways, doing at home workouts, Crossfit, and Jillian Michael’s Body Revolution.  Although I loved those workouts and how […]