Tips For Weight Loss

Have you ever found yourself standing in the kitchen, looking for something to eat even though you’re not too sure what you’re hungry for?

Have you ever found yourself standing in the kitchen, looking for something to eat even though you’re not hungry?

Have you ever had a hankering for something sweet but know that it’s not a part of your diet plan?

Have you ever had a plan to workout but throughout the day you look for a reason not to workout?

Weight loss ecard

Personally, I have found myself in each one of these scenarios at one time or another.  In this month’s issue of SHAPE there was a great news blurp about crushing cravings and it got me thinking about solutions for some of the questions we ask ourselves or excuses we may have.

Crush Cravings

SHAPE recommend that when you have a craving, tell yourself that you can have that food after working out.  You see the reality is that after your workout you probably wont be wanting the foods you were craving.  SHAPE states that “an hour-long sweat session halts activity in the area of the brain that usually fires up at the sight of high-fat treats”.

Another tip for weight loss, from my awesome husband, is to ask yourself “am I hungry enough to eat an apple?”.  The trust is, if you’re standing in the kitchen and can’t decide what to eat or whether or not your hungry, making fruit or veggies the only option will usually bring the truth to light.  Sometimes I’m just not hungry enough for an apple.  Sometimes an apple just isn’t what I want, but I know it’s the healthiest choice.

apple

Sometimes it’s just as simple as asking yourself, “Am I really hungry or am I just bored?”.  The real success though is being able to act upon how you answer that question.  If you’re hungry, make wise food choices.  If you’re bored, don’t eat and then find something else to fill your time.

workout ecard

The last excuse that many of us face is trying to get out of workouts because we’re either tired, sore, or have other things on the brain.  The only tip I have is, just do it anyways!  I’ve been there, trust me, where I’m just so tired and all I want to do is either sleep in or rest on the couch after a long day.  Time after time though, I never regret a workout and am thrilled I followed through.  If you do decide to skip a workout though, don’t get bummed, just make a plan for the next day and commit to it.

So now it’s your turn!  What tip do you have for others?  What struggles have you had along the way and what has helped you get through it or to turn things around?

Comments

1.  MK says

I LOVE this! I am going to start doing this. If I want a cookie at 9pm I better want to do 50 crunches before I eat it!

2. Lindsey says

I have issues with all of those questionnaire items! BOO! Great point about the fruit/veggie option as the only option when unsure about hunger.

I am struggling with this issue, but my only tip is that sometimes I set the oven timer for 10 minutes. If I still want something after the timer buzzes, I’ll eat something (usually with protein). Sometimes I’ve managed to distract myself (if bored, not hungry) within the 10 minutes, but not always.

I’m dealing with a lot of emotional eating problems, so I’ll take any tips I can get! :)

This is something I totally have a problem with! I constantly find myself digging through the fridge/pantry looking for food when I’m not really hungry. The advice to stick a workout in between cravings seems like a simple yet effective solution.

My mom has always pushed me to drink a glass of water when I’m “bored-hungry”. It is almost fool-proof; I can stop myself from digging through a bag of chips just by pouring a huge cup o’ agua and occupying my time otherwise.

I really like the tip about drinking a glass of water first (which Kelsey mentioned above, but I’ve heard you say it too, Ash :))
    My tip – and believe the only way you can successfully lose weight and keep it off- is to get in the right mindset. To not be so food obsessed. To think of it as nourishment for your body, and to give your body what it needs (and not just feed your mind).
    When I learn to do that, I’ll finally have success! :)

I just said to Sam the other night when she asked what I want for dinner “I don’t care, I’m so hungry I’d eat a bag of apples at this point!” I guess I was really (really) hungry. :)

My best trick when cravings hit is to remind myself that no one is forcing my hand to my mouth. I am responsible for every action I make. When I think of it that way, I get all fired up about my mind being weak and then I drink water or eat something healthy instead and I’m all “take that, brain. I win.” Kinda zany, but it works for me!

I will admit that “junkier” food doesn’t sound as good to me after a really hard run – i would rather nourish my body with yummy and nutritious foods.

My biggest craving monster comes when I haven’t slept enough. Even worse, having two kids makes it impossible for me to get more sleep sometimes!
    I used to allow myself to eat whatever I was craving after a big workout, but it backfired when I started eating fast food on the way home from the gym. I actually had to stop carrying money for a while to avoid the drive thru!