Weight Watchers – Just Do It

This is going to be a long post but an important one…

Organzing Paperwork

Yesterday I took some time to go through my files and to organize my paperwork (checking things off my fall bucket list, woo hoo).  Among my files were my medical records from my childhood.  As I turned the pages I grew so discouraged to see that at the age of 9 I was taken to a dietitian because I was classified as obese.  In my charts the doctor quoted me saying “I want to weigh 90 lbs”.  I WAS 9 YEARS OLD!! How did I know that weighing 124 was too high and that I needed to weigh 90 pounds?

Overweight Teenager

As I continued to flip through my records I saw that I first broke 200 pounds at the age of 13, weighing in at 213 lbs.  My highest weight is recorded at 269 lbs at the age of 17.  Over those years I was on many diets and joined Weight Watchers with my mom many times.  Still, I continued to lose weight over time, struggling to get down to a healthy weight for my age each year.

Overweight Teenager

As an adult I have joined Weight Watchers roughly 6 times, including last fall.  As a sophomore in college I joined Weight Watchers and lost about 30 pounds.  Then right out of college (2006) I rejoined Weight Watchers and lost 54 pounds, the most weight I had ever lost on the program.  At 207 pounds I was happy and stopped attended Weight Watchers as I wanted to be able to do it on my own.

Ashley

Since 2007 though, I have gain 25 pounds… gaining and losing the same 10-15 pounds year after year.

As I shared earlier last week, Robyn made a huge impact on my life while at the Runners World event.  Robyn lost 90 pounds with Weight Watchers but it was something she said that made the biggest impact… “JUST DO IT”.

My reasons for quitting Weight Watchers over the past 6 years have included, “I don’t want to track points for the rest of my life” and “I want to be able to do this on my own”.  Although there is truth to both of my reasons for quitting, Weight Watchers is a plan that has worked best for me and is one I need to stick with in order to reach my goal weight.  As Robyn shared, until I reach my goal weight I just need to do it and then when I reach my goal weight I can figure out how to maintain and live a life without counting points.

Rejoining Weight Watchers on Sunday, October 21 was exciting and difficult all at the same time.  It’s humiliating to rejoin but at the same time I was excited to recommit to a program that helps me to be successful.  On top of the fear of weighing in, I weighed in at 234.2 lbs which freaked me out!  That’s 14 pounds more than my weigh-in on September 24.  Thankfully I read that weighing yourself post running a race is never a good idea as your body holds a massive amount of water weight in order to allow muscles to heal.

My first week on Weight Watchers went extremely well and I was very excited about my first full week weigh-in.

Starting Weight: 234.6 lbs
Last Weigh-in: 228.8 lbs
This Weigh-in: 224.2 lbs
Difference: -10.4 lbs

Weight Watchers Week 1 Results

I will be weighing in every Tuesday and will share my results here on Coffee Cake and Cardio each week.  I do not know what my ultimate goal is, but my current goal is to track everything I eat, to follow the Weight Watchers plan, and to get back down to my lowest weight, 207 lbs..

As readers, what would you like me to share about each week?  My workouts? Daily eats? Struggles?  Non-scale victories?

As always, thank you all for following my journey, for reading my blog each day, and for being incredibly supportive.  I hope that my journey helps you with your own in some way.

Ashley

Comments

You go girl! Sometimes we truly do have to “just do it”! It was a lesson I had to learn too. I haven’t done WW (though I know people that have huge success with them) but I do watch calories and had to just face the fact that I have to “just do it” to keep my 80lbs off and continue on my journey of health. So good for you. Good luck!

2. Mindy says

Welcome back to Weight Watchers after your extended vacation. It doesn’t matter how many times you’ve joined and stopped going. What matters is that you have made a positive choice and you have the tools to continue those positive choices. This is a Non-Scale Victory! For me it’s about one week at a time. I weigh in and attend my meetings and I find myself saying “Yes, I can commit to another week” and I “just do it”. I look forward to reading about your journey and congrats on your ten pounds.

I would be most interested in daily struggles, because that’s where I feel I spend most of my own thoughts.

I didn’t know that we gain water weight after a big race, I wish I’d know that last week. I couldn’t figure out what was going on with me after my half marathon, I didn’t think I had so completely overeaten my cheat meals after the race…and then my weight went right back down this week. It should give you some extra satisfaction to have the extra weight come off!

I’m proud of you, Ashley! If staying with WW works for you- then yeah- do it! And I can definitely see your point of “I don’t want to track points for the rest of my life, etc.” Who does? But hopefully you won’t have to- that’s just a tool to help lose the weight and develop habits. And if that’s what it takes to lose weight, so be it!
    I WISH WW worked for me. I don’t know why, but even if I stick to the plan 100% I don’t lose weight. Then again, I am a freak. :)

Good luck Ashley! You’ve had a great first two weeks so far.
    I’ve been tossing around the idea of joining WW again as well. I’ve done WW online in the past, but wasn’t really in the right mindset. I can’t afford to do meetings right now, but I’m thinking I might sign up for a 3 month online membership so I can start tracking. I think this post has given me the motivation to go ahead and just do it! :)

Wahoo! I am currently on my third or fourth 12-week round of WW (I do online only) and I really love it. It is definitely hard to track things without calorie counts (eating at a friend’s house, salad bar at Whole Foods) but I just make do. I know I won’t track everything forever, but it’s a nice tool to have if healthy habits get a bit off track.

I’m really looking forward to reading about your journey!

Wow- that’s fabulous! What an incredible story you have- getting to sneak a peak back into your childhood & see how you’ve been impacted from such a young age. We all have a story to tell, one that’s shaped us & I’m so glad you shared yours here.

Thanks for being this honest on your blog. Oh man, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve let the “I don’t want to track points for the rest of my life”-mentality hold me back in my weight loss. I’ve never tried Weight Watchers, but I’ve said that so much about eating veggies and working out regularly. “I just don’t want to do this forever” has been my thing. And it’s silly. I paid the price for it with my yo-yoing!

9. Kristen says

Thank you for sharing. I’ve been on and off 3 times–my husband and I lost 100 lbs that way. What if you always have to count points? Isn’t your health worth it? I’m trying to work my way back again–finances and moving have hit be before, but I’m thinking I’m needing this to be a lifetime after I make it to Lifetime. Fantastic first weigh in. I look forward to watching your journey–rooting you on from afar.

10. Donna says

Ashely – I am amazed by your transparency, openess and honesty. I know you will do great.

You have already accomplished the most difficult part of all of it ~ making the decision to “just do it”.

One suggestion…. add gum to your diet. This time of year it’s really easy to sneak a piece of Halloween candy or the holiday snacks, party treats, etc. But if you have a piece of gum in your mouth, it’s more difficult to take a quick bite or ask someone if they could “just hold this for a second”.

We’re cheering for you Ashley.

Just found your blog via Instagram! Good for you for joining WW again! I love the program and have lost 150+ pounds so far with it. I’ve gone thru the same struggle of thinking I’ll have to count points forever. But if I do, that’s okay because it works for me. And it will be what keeps me on track.

Also I completly agree with Robyn when she says ‘Just do it.’ That’s one of my favorite sayings to tell people when they ask me about wanting to lose weight. I also tell them that ‘There is no other option,’ which I also tell myself a lot when needing motivation. :)

Good luck on your WW journey!

Glad you are back at it. I had the same “I don’t want to count calories the rest of my life” thought when I reached goal weight a few years ago. There were a few factors that contributed to it but, I ended up gaining back 15 pounds. I realized I would always have to count my calories and I made peace with that. Now I don’t even think about it, I just do it.

Excited for the journey, of course!I like to read whatever you put on the blog. I think that putting non scale victories as well as weight victories will help balance things out. Non scale victories will keep your mind strong on the other areas of life and keep you motivated!

I love seeing your workouts as well. They give me new ideas for my workouts!

Weight Watchers was the missing link for me in my weight loss. It gave me the structure and accountability that I was apparently needing. I stopped going a few months ago, but it was more about the meetings and my sessions with my trainer were at the same time.

I am another person who doesn’t want to track food or count calories for the rest of my life, but because weight watchers taught me how and how much to eat, I’ve been able to stop being super tracker and keep the weight off.

I’ve lost 75lbs and have so far been able to keep it off for six months now.. AND eat pizza. Hang in there!

It’s all about learning what works for you, what makes you feel good and sticking with it!

Congratulations on taking the step to get back on track! I’ve been on Weight Watchers since July 2010 and have lost 201.6 pounds. I know that tracking gets old after awhile but if you’re anything like me it’s also tremendously helpful when I gain so that I can go back and look at what I did for working out or eating to see if I can find a pattern. I think it’d be great to post about what you learn – either about yourself or how you work the program. I like to learn different things from other members because sometimes someone else might interpret the program a little differently. :)

Good Luck Ashley! Can’t wait to hear about your progress.

I can’t wait to read about your journey. I struggled with rejoining– I felt like I was giving up doing it on my own. But on my own wasn’t working anymore. I need some help. Looks like it was the right choice for you!

17. Melanie says

Good for you “just doing it” Ashley! You know that you’re not alone as many of us struggle with the same issues. WW has worked so well for me in the past too and when I’m with the “right” leader I LOVE the meetings!!! I’ve done the same, quit when I get “happy” and can fit into my smaller clothes knowing I can maintain on my own (although I never got to goal)…but it just doesn’t happen that way for me. I have decided that I need this structure in my life and I really enjoy this outlet and support I get from WW. So, what good timing that I read this post today because I had already committed to going to my WW meeting tomorrow morning and now I have that extra push and support from you too!!!! Can’t wait to follow your journey with you and celebrate success together!!!!

18. Hanna says

You are such an inspiration!! I see you said your goal is to get back to your lowest weight (207) but I think you could get into the 100′s by sticking to weight watchers! Baby steps, I guess.

Keep doing what you’re doing!

Just do it is a rule for everything in life. I mostly don’t do it but recently I started to understand what that actually means…and started doing it! And as for what to post, you said your current goal is to track everything you eat, so you should maybe stick to posting dieting stuff if you’re in that stuff right now. Good luck!

Trackbacks