What’s Keeping You at Your Current Weight?

I absolutely adore my sister Alison.  Our relationship has grown and changed so much over the years.  Being 9 years apart, there were times when I couldn’t always turn to my sister for advice (she was 11 and I was 20) but now as adults, our age gap doesn’t matter.

Last night I called my sister to vent about my weight, Weight Watchers, and my workouts.  I really believe in the Weight Watchers program and am feeling great on the program, but at times I feel like I’m still holding back.

Before I could say much more, my sister told me “Ashley, you need to be honest with yourself and make a list of what’s keeping you at your current weight”.

She was 100% right.  There are things that are keeping me at my current weight even though I’ve made some good changes through Weight Watchers and with my workouts.

So what is keeping me at my current weight?

1.  Creamer in my coffee

2.  Cheese:  Added to dishes and as a snack inhibitor

3.  Not eating filling enough lunches

4.  Not eating enough veggies

5.  Eating a mini-meal before dinner because I’m hungry post work

6.  Eating because I’m bored

7.  Losing focus of my goals

8.  Sweet and desserts

9.  Eating after dinner

10.  Not allowing myself to be hungry

I can not begin to tell you how helpful it was to write these out.  I actually wrote them out on some colorful paper and taped them to my refrigerator.

Reasons why I 'm overweight

No matter where you’re at in your journey to be healthy, I would highly encourage you to make a list of what’s keeping you at your current weight.  This may mean that you have a list of healthy habits that are helping you to maintain a healthy weight.  Or you may end up with a list which helps you realize the changes you need to make in order to lose weight.  Either way, make a list… I promise it will impact you in a positive way!

I also decided to take some progress pictures.  I have taken photos before but it has been a while.  I was actually really surprised with what I saw.  In all honesty, I always think I look a lot larger than my body is right now.  Do I want to lose more body fat and get into better shape?  You bet, but I need to remember that I’m not as big as I use to be.

Progress Pictures 225 pounds

My talk with my sister was so motivating and a great eye opener for me!  I’ve also set a weight loss goal for January 1, 2013, as I realized that I needed to make my weight loss more of a competition with myself.  I’m not going to put my goal out there just yet, but I’ll share it with y’all at the first of the year.

My challenge for you today is to make a list of what’s keeping you at your current weight.

Comments

1. Melanie says

Ashley..what great timing you have as these are the EXACT issues that I need to face with myself! Your post this morning is like reading my own story. I’ve been considering leaving WW again and continuing the journey on my own. Of course I know I’m not coming clean with my tracking….I am going to keep re-reading your post, make my own list which will be a carbon copy of yours and get myself where I want to be! There is no reason you and I should not be CELEBRATING lifetime with WW like so many others.too. We are worthy and WE CAN DO IT! Now, time to lace up my sneakers and hit it! Thanks for a hard dose of reality this morning.

I love this post! i think sometimes we do need someone to remind us that we have control and need to just look through what we are doing. I actually just posted today about celebrating this year and making december awesome. you have me even more motivated to do so by really examining my choices

This is awesome! I have lost 80lbs but never have been able to lose those last four pounds. Not a HUGE deal. But I KNOW there is something that caused me to just stall. I’m thankful for maintenance, but I need to be honest with myself. This is a great post and gave me the kick in the pants that I needed today!

Just posted my own “face the truth” blog this morning! I totally get it. Sometimes seeing things how they really are is incredibly hard. I think you’re tackling this with a great attitude. And look at your progress pics! You look so fit, strong, happy and healthy.

xo!

Such a clever way to turn the question around!
    I shall be sharing this with a few of my personal training clients who are stuck in the ‘why can’t I lose the weight’ mode

THIS is a fantastic idea! I’m totally going to do the same. I also need to come up with some goals for myself. Time to make it work again, because when you do it, WW SURE works! And I think your pics are awesome! xo

This is such a great reminder. I think a lot of time, I sabatoge all the hard work I put into my workouts by letting my hunger and cravings take control. Whether its the Sunday game-day chicken wings or a piece of pie before bed (I blame my husband entirely), the little things add up. I will try to spend some time reflecting on what small changes I can make every day!

Oh, and I totally hear you on the creamer in the coffee issue :)

I love this. I wrote a similar post today…what is keeping me at this weight? Snacking and nibbling on things and NOT LOGGING the calories!!! I’m lying to myself and it shows up on the scale.

Thanks for this great reminder- there are so many things to get frustrated with in life & sometimes it’s great to stop and see the trees in the forest that are blocking us from getting to our goal. I can’t wait till my siblings are a few years older & we can have more adult relationships :)

Wow, that is so smart! Many of the things you list are keeping me from losing weight as well. It didn’t really hit me until I saw it listed out on paper just now though. Thanks. Good luck, I think you look great in your progress pictures.

Yup, that Allison is BRILLIANT. That was a great idea to make a list and make it visible! And I guess you just have to pick and choose on some things. Like, you know that having creamer in your coffee isn’t THAT bad, but you just have to cut those extra calories from somewhere else if that’s your thing. Everyone has their vices. :)
    For the record, you look AMAZING in those photos. SO fit and strong!

Such a great idea! I’ve actually done this before, but my problem is actually implementing the actions that I need to take, in order to start removing things from the list! Progress, not perfection, right? :) Best of luck on your Jan 1. weight loss goal!

13. Donna says

Ashley, I know weight loss is such a personal thing. last year I was heavier than I had ever been even pregnant. so for mother’s day the girls and Jim got me 4 sessions with Cathryn Outlaw at our church fitness center. as a gift I thought “are you saying i’m fat?” but in reality it was the best thing. the first visit was all about nutrition. High protein and low fat. I was faithful in following things on Myfitnesspal.com. I think the BEST thing I ever got was protein shakes? / sort of like milk cartons, 28 to a box at Costco. eating an egg white breakfast and a can of chicken, salmon or tuna at lunch with only lemon and the shakes in between was hard. I don’t eat that much. but it really, really helped to not be hungry and then eat everything in sight before dinner. I know it is an up and down roller coaster but I also believe in you and know how determined you can be. Go for it. You also have to remember how far you’ve come. You are awesome and I can’t wait to hear what 2013 holds for you (and Neal of course). So glad he’s in the family!!

Trackbacks

1. [...] week I have also been inspired by Ashley over at Coffee, Cake and Cardio and her post titled ‘What’s Keeping You At Your Current Weight?’ and it inspired me to come up with my own [...]

2. [...] « // var _gaq = _gaq || []; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-28108040-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); (function() { var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s); })(); [...]

3. […] your goals and what it’ll take to get there.  It’s also helpful to make a list of what keeps you from losing weight or reaching your goals.  Cheese, not eating enough at lunch, and sweets are my […]