Flipping My Diet

Late last week I talked to a friend of mine who is a bodybuilder about my weight loss and the plateau I’ve faced over the past 2 years. My friend challenged me to track my eats through My Fitness Pal for a few days, that way he could look over my calorie, protein, carb, and fat intake.

Knowing that he’d be reviewing my eats made me think a LOT about what I was actually eating and how much I was eating. Knowing that he’d be looking over my food intake put me on edge a little because it made me more aware of the areas I needed to improve upon.

One of the biggest things I noticed is that I was eating way too little between 7AM and 6PM, which way too often lead me to overeat from 6PM-10PM. I’d be so hungry after work that I’d eat something while dinner was cooking.

With this realization, I’ve decided to make a few changes.  One of the first big changes I’m making is to eat more during the day and to eat a much lighter dinner. My hope is that this will leave me feeling more fulfilled during the day and will leave me feeling satisfied at the end of the day.  Here are my eats from yesterday on this new plan after flipping my diet around.

Breakfast – 2 slices of Ezekiel Flax bread, 3 egg whites, 1 slice of 2% Kraft cheese, 1 cup of coffee, and 3 tbsp of vanilla latte creamer — 9PP

Weight Watchers Egg Sandwich

Lunch – Flatout wrap, 1/2 cup of cheeseburger filling, lettuce, tomato, diet root beer, and Adora vitamin — 10PP

Healthy Cheeseburger Wrap

Cheeseburger wrap, inspired by Skinny Mom’s Kitchen.

• 1 pound ground beef (I used 90/10)
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon grated parmesan
  • 1 tablespoon of yellow mustard
  • 1 teaspoon dried chives
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt

Brown ground beef, adding the remaining ingredients after the meat is cooked through. 6PP for 1/2 cup.

Healthy Cheeseburger Wrap

Diet Mug Rootbeer

Snacks – Yoplait yogurt, orange, protein bar — 9PP

Healthy Snack

Builder's Smores Bar

Dinner – Butter lettuce, 4 oz chicken breast, and 3 tbsp of Ken’s light honey mustard dressing — 8PP

Salad with roasted chicken

Salad with roasted chicken

Dessert – 1 piece of Extra Lemon Square bar

Extra Lemon Square Gum

I felt great at the end of the day yesterday.  I closed out the day consuming 35 out of 37 points and completed 2 hours of football practice.  Consistency is key, so I’m working hard to transition to this new plan this week.

What is your largest meal of the day?

Comments

1. Judy says

I’m enjoying your blog. May I make a recommendation? Try really hard to get rid of the diet soda and decrease the processed foods you are eating. The chemicals in the soda and processed foods stimulate your hunger and can lead to cravings. Just my 2cents. Keep up the great work you are doing.

Love your blog!!! This is an issue I deal with too. I try and “be good” throughout the day at work (which includes a workout), but then when I get home I am SO hungry because I have planned lunch well enough then I graze from 4-6 when dinner is ready.

I do love the my fitness pal app, but sometimes there just isn’t a second to sit and enter things. I try to be good about entering it….but it’s in bursts (sadly).

Keep up the good work!

I have been working on eating more during the day & less at dinner as well. I’m still working on the right amount of food to eat at dinner so I’m not starving right before bed.

I love this idea, Ashley! I think I do the same… always eating too little during the day and then gorging myself (literally…) after work while cooking dinner and then AFTER dinner too. I’m going to try to increase the size of my lunches. Thanks for the idea!

It’s so hard for me to accept eating a small dinner. Since I sometimes have to work nights while the hubby is home alone, I always want to cook a nice dinner for us each night I am able. I’ll eat minimally throughout the day and then indulge in a big dinner since that’s the only meal we eat together. But I’ve recently made a huge change and I’m now eating small, clean meals every 2-3 hours, which makes binging at night much less tempting. Luckily the husband is on board with the lighter, clean meals for dinner now that our vacation is less than 30 days away. ;)

I have been having this issue lately too. I definitely need to eat more at breakfast and lunch. Although, last night I ate a small dinner because I wasn’t hungry (go figure) — but then 2 hours later I just wanted to EAT. Night hunger can be SO frustrating. Half the time I can’t decide if it’s because I’m actually hungry or if I’m just bored. Good luck with your diet flip :)

There is so much truth to this– it is a very European way to eat–more during the day and less at night. I have just been trying to get back into the habit of writing everything down- because the accountability and reality of it being written is so important to me pushing through my own plateaus.

I used to buy into the idea of having small meals more often, but I found I was starving all of the time and was never satisfied. Now I eat 3 meals and sometimes a snack in the afternoon. While my meals are larger, I’m losing way more weight this way and I’m not starving all day long anymore.

If you feel like you’re eating too little during the day, you might try eating five small meals- it really helps me stay fuller longer, and gives me something to look forward to in the middle of the day :)

10. Scarlet says

That cheeseburger wrap looks so good! I would probably make it with ground turkey instead of beef. Plateaus can be so frustrating. One thing that really helped me was getting rid of processed foods and food items with added suger and/or artificial sugar. Foods with artificial sugar or small amounts of added sugar actually made my sugar/junk food cravings worse. Once I eliminated them from my diet, it took a few months, but now I don’t crave soda, sweets, junk food or processed foods anymore. It also made more of a difference on the scale, even though I was only eating them in moderation before chaning. I love the idea of flipping your diet, I am looking forward to reading more about how your body is adjusting to it. :)

It makes sense to have lunch as the biggest meal–and that’s how it was for farmers. But it doesn’t work for me. I workout after work and sometimes don’t eat for 5+ hours between lunch and dinner. So dinner is my biggest meal.

I WISH I could flip my meals but I really can’t – I have tried so many times but dinner will always be my biggest meal…. I fear that if I eat a huge meal during the day I will just feel tired, sleepy and bloated… Three things I definitely CANNOT feel when I am trying to do X, Y, Z, A, C, F, L… LOL, you get the point!! I am thrilled to see that it may work for you though!!

Oh and HOW IS THE LEMON SQUARE dessert gum? I LOVEEEEEEEE Mint Chocolate Chip :)

I love prepoing my meals so they are ready for me. Egg casarole or egg muffins. Have you triednsubbing unsweetened vanilla almond milk for your creamer? I love it. I am eager to hear what your friend provides for ideas!

Trackbacks