Let Go Of The Security Blanket!

Neal and I are enjoying a planned vacation day today!! We both took the day off from work and are heading downtown to sight see.  It has been quite a while since we’ve played tourist in our own city, so we’re excited to get downtown today!

In today’s vlog I address a difficult weight loss topic… security blankets.  Most overweight people know that they aren’t at a healthy weight, but have a difficult time answering the WHYS.  Why are you overweight?  Why haven’t you lost weight?  Why aren’t you able to maintain weight loss?

These are all questions I’ve had to start asking myself in order to let go of the security blanket!

What is your security blanket?

Comments

I think this vlog is extremely important, we all have our security blankets and by you coming forward and talking about it, it allows all of us to look within and see what we hang onto. Your hair is gorgeous and you are gorgeous inside and out! Thank you for being so vulnerable and open with your readers.

Ashley! On the off chance that you remember me – we were throwing buddies for a couple of years in college! I can remember so many W&M/GMU meets – good times! Anyway, I came across your blog a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely love it! Ever since graduating and transitioning to post-thrower life I have had the exact same struggles! Your blog is so true to life and I can relate to it so much more given that we’ve had similar experiences. Keep it up, you are gorgeous!

Abby

LOVE the new haircut!! Itz hard to think of what my security blanket would be… I think maybe working out? In a healthy way, if that makes sense. I turn to working out when I’m stressed, sad, mad, and even happy. It makes me feel good. Maybe not all security blankets have to be let go of?

Great vlog! Yes, you’re so right that we have to take the whole person into the picture- it’s not just about changing a diet or adding in exercise. There are a lot of emotional issues to uncover as well. And cute hair!

long time reader, first time commenter. gotta say… I’m liking these vlogs and i love the haircut! it looks great, very stylish and pretty..and thanks for the Jillian Michaels podcast suggestion, I’m downloading them now and will listen to them at the gym. Keep it up!

I feel the exact same way about my hair! I’ve had the same long hair style for MANY years! I love my long hair because it’s one of the few physical things about myself that I truly love. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve said “when I get to goal I’m going to get a drastic hair cut” or “wehn I get to X amount..” The thought of cutting my hair shorter while I’m still overweight scares me so much! Like you, I fear that it’s going to make me look larger or less pretty or whatever..
    Your hair looks great and so healthy! Thanks for sharing :)

I’m a relatively new visitor to your blog, and I love the vlogs so far. This one was especially great. You’ve given me a ton to think about. I’ve half-heartedly asked myself the first question before, but the follow-up questions are so important. Thanks for sharing!

Great vlog! I think weight has been my security blanket too. I’ve always been the “big” girl – I was 6 feet tall in the 8th grade so I’ve always felt huge, regardless of my weight. I really need to download some Jillian Michaels podcasts because they sound really interesting and helpful.

I think you are pretty amazing for talking so openly about this. I really like reading about your journey and a big part of that is how honest you are.

10. Amanda says

Hi Ashley,
    I read your blog all the time and can really relate to alot of what you talk about. Weight is a HUGE security blanket for me and I really need to work on that. I loved your vlog, especially all the questions that we all need to ask ourselves no matter our weight or struggles.

Thanks for a powerful and thought-provoking post! I have a security blanket too. It’s not weight, but it’s something that weighs me down from taking risks in my life. Going to think on this for awhile…

Thanks for putting yourself out there. Excellent food for thought. The psychology of weight is so complex. Security blankets, habits, so much to think about.

13. Julie says

Hi, I’ve been a longtime reader but today was the first vlog I’ve listened to. First of all, you are a doll. Secondly, your honestly and openness regarding your weight is beautiful. I am confident that someday soon you’ll find the answers to your questions!

This is such a great post! I have been meaning to comment on it all week. You seriously read my mind. I have been thinking about this for a while and I wonder why in the world I am hiding behind this version of me… I hate it. I also hide behind my hair but I will be shaving it off for the St. Baldricks foundation in a few weeks so that will be very freeing and I can’t wait to do it! Thanks so much for reading my mind. I think I will have to talk about my own blanket in my blog.