This year I have been looking at my weight loss goals from a whole new perspective. A while back, my doctor told me that the key to losing weight is determining your reason for losing weight. For some, wanting to be smaller and to weigh a certain amount just isn’t enough to get them to their goal weight. It has be a reason that creates a “now or never” drive in the individual.
In 2006 my drive was that if I kept living the way I was living I was going to just get heavier and heavier and I would begin to lose myself. I knew that my health and life were in jeopardy and that it would begin to affect my life in extremely negative ways.
After losing 54 pounds I had a whole new take on life. Food was not controlling me, I was beyond happy, and I loved my body. Though I hadn’t reached my goal weight of 185, weighing 207 at the time, I was truly at peace with where I was! These past few years have been a struggle for me. Eating emotionally, not being in a healthy place, allowing people to affect my outlook on life… all of which have taken me back to weighing 230 pounds.
Since starting Coffee Cake and Cardio I’ve been up and down, fighting to lose weight, but the truth is, I haven’t had a real “reason” to make permanent changes and to lose significant weight. For me, being unhappy was not enough of a reason to get me to stop turning to food for emotional support.
The start of 2013 brought about the realization that I will want to be a mother sooner than later. Now that is not to say we are wanting to get pregnant any time soon but it just hit me that now is the time to get in the best shape of my life before we have children. Enter… THE REASON!
These first two months of 2013 have been a challenge for me. I haven’t lost weight and I’ve definitely been discouraged on different days, but January and February have helped me to find clarity in what I need to do this time around in order to lose body fat and to reach my goal of being healthier before getting pregnant.
Let me walk you through this year so far…
- I returned from the holidays weighing 230.6
- I continued with Weight Watchers, counting points.
- I started football practices in January, with 2 hour practices 3 times a week.
- By the last week in January I hadn’t really lost any weight so I contacted a friend in the health industry for some advice. For 3 days I tracked both my Points and my Calories in My Fitness Pal and was SHOCKED at the results. Even though I was eating the exact same number of Points those 3 days, my calories were all over the place.
- I decided to quit Weight Watchers February 1.
- I started making more of an effort to eat Lean and Green and to count my calories (I prepped my food and had great days of eating!).
- 1 week in, I still hadn’t lost any weight.
Since then I’ve had a lot of conversations with myself about where I want to be and how I am going to achieve those goals. I realized that I had to be ok with not knowing what my plan was for a few weeks and I had to let go of my security blank in order to really lose weight!
After allowing myself time to think things through, to battle with myself, and to make some decisions, I took action!
Over the next week I will walk you though these 5 steps and show you the plans and decisions I have made. My first step was to be honest about where I was at, so I headed to the doctor…
To Be Continued…
Filed under: Weight Loss
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!