Where’s My Green Beer?

Though I secretly wish the weekend had been filled with lots of green beer, it ended up being a pretty good weekend!

It started Friday with a wonderful lunch with Lauren at Whole Foods.  It had been quite some time since seeing Lauren, so I was incredibly thankful that she drove and took the metro into DC to see me during my work day.

For lunch we both created salads at the salad bar, mine including romaine lettuce, carrots, roasted butternut squash, steak, blue cheese, balsamic vinegar, roasted vegetables, and 3 pieces of curried tempeh.

Whole Foods Salad Bar

To drink, I enjoyed a Bai Antioxidant Infusion.  It was avery sweet drink and although it was really tasty, I probably wouldn’t buy it again.

Bai Antioxidant Infusions

After the work day ended I headed to Bethesda for dinner with Becky at Assaggi Mozzarella Bar.

Assaggi Mozzarella Bar Bethesda

We started our dinner off with a glass of wine and a salad.  The salad was butter lettuce, blue cheese, walnuts, and a lemon vinaigrette.

Assaggi Mozzarella Bar Bethesda

For dinner I enjoyed the Garganelli pasta. The meat sauce was exactly what I was craving and perfect the night before football practice.  I crushed the whole plate, not going to lie!

Assaggi Mozzarella Bar Bethesda

After a great football practice Saturday morning I raced home and got cleaned up before heading down to the NBC4 Health and Fitness Expo.

Ashley

Although Neal had been sick all weekend, he was incredibly supportive and came with to hear me speak at the Expo.

Neal and Ashley

When I was invited to Expo as a DC health and fitness blogger I was thrilled to be given the chance to meet more people from the area, to hear their stories, and to be able to share my own story.  I wish I could write and say that the experience was everything I had hoped it would be, but sadly it wasn’t.  I was disappointed that Diet-to-Go, the company who invited the bloggers, didn’t organize the event in a way that opened up doors for us to be able to interact with those attending the expo.

NBC4 Health and Fitness Expo 2013

Thankfully I was able to spend some time with Carly, Sana, and Allison (not pictured)…

DC Health and Fitness Bloggers

And was able to be apart of a panel with these beautiful women!

NBC4 Health and Fitness Expo 2013

The panel, which was organized by Diet-to-Go, was a great panel but it was unfortunate that they did not market it or offer it at a time in which more people could attend.  It’s tough when your panel starts at 4:30PM and the expo closes at 5PM.

It really was wonderful to be able to speak to those in attendance (thank you so much to Becky and her Dad for attending), but an opportunity was missed to reach a greater population.

DC Health and Fitness Bloggers

The panel gave the 4 bloggers an opportunity to share our stories, to discuss our grocery shopping techniques, and to define what “healthy” means to us.  I was really looking forward to answering that last question as I feel our society paints a picture of what healthy is, and to me, it isn’t all that healthy.

When asked what “healthy” means to me I explained that we can’t allow the number on the scale to define us and to keep us from pushing ourselves further.  When I walk into a doctor’s office and step on the scale, doctors instantly judge me when they see the number 230 pop up. To them I am obese… even morbidly obese on some charts… but to me, I’m healthier than that number!

I may not be at the ideal weight for my height or even at the weight I’d like to be at, but I am healthy. I workout at least 4 times a week, I play full contact football, I’ve run a half marathon, and all my blood tests (and other tests) come back as healthy!  If I allowed the number on the scale to define who I am it would stop me from seeing how far I can push my body.

My hope was that the people in the audience would know that they are not alone and that their bodies can do more than they can imagine.  Running may be scary.. but they can do it!  Swimming may be tough… but they can do it!  Weight lifting may hurt like crazy… but they can do it!  I just wanted people to realize that the number on the scale doesn’t have to define them, even if it’s a number they want to change.

I didn’t end up attending the expo today as it was so unorganized, but I am thankful for the opportunity to be on the panel with the other DC bloggers and to have met the other people on the panel.

NBC4 Health and Fitness Expo 2013

Today was spent running lots of errands, going to the dog park, and working on a few projects.

photo 4

It was a weird weekend… filled with a lot of great things but also some weird things. Hopefully a good night’s sleep will have me prepped for the week ahead and I’ll be able to move on from the craziness that was last week.

Comments

I didn’t make it to the expo and now I’m not too disappointed, although it would have been great to see all of you! Yesterday we were in PA and today I had to organize our taxes to meet our accountant’s deadline — fun times. ;-)

Looks like a fabulous weekend!

I have a question for you. How do you track your calories when you eat out? Do you just estimate? I always end up throwing my diet out the window when I eat at restaurants because I can’t track the meals!

Hey Carly! I try my hardest to look up dinner options online before I go to a restaurant but if I’m not able to do that I always going into the day knowing I’ll be eating out later. I’ll try my hardest to eat lighter during the day, eating more fruits and veggies and less carbs to balance out the food I’ll be eating later at the restaurant. In My Fitness Pal, I just try my hardest to log exactly what I’ve eaten. Not completely accurate, but it’s written down.

It was great seeing you! I’d drive down to DC anytime, my dear! :)
    Your experience at the Expo sounds so great- and I’m sure a lot of people loved hearing your story.
    So, who ended up being the from The Biggest Loser? I didn’t see that advertised anywhere! :(

4. Jennie says

Hello – I attended the expo on Saturday and could figure out where the panel was even talking at. I have never been before and I don’t know that I would attend again. I agree it seemed very unorganized. Events/demos didn’t take place even when signs in front of the area stated there was suppose to be something. I was shocked at how many vendors there were not even health or fitness related. I did try my hand at the Military Combat course and really enjoyed that.

I’m so bummed I didn’t get to see you! Yes, I probably won’t go again. It wasn’t what I had expected, which was sad. It could really be a great event. The panel I was a part of got moved to the back of the venue and wasn’t even announced over the speaker.

• Jennie says

I walked all over that place and I agree it could be so much more. One of these days we will met up :) What did you think of the Biggest loser final!!! I love Danni!

It was so great to see you this weekend, Ashley! I definitely agree with the disorganized feel of the event and wish it was better run but you were SO GREAT on the panel. You have such an interesting story and you’re so good at telling it in a way that makes you relatable (I really thought relatable was a word and apparently it’s not per my spell check…but I like it and I’m using it!) to everyone. I was so happy to be sitting next to you :)

6. Becky says

I expected more organization from the expo and the panel as well. But you were fantastic, and I saw the teenagers in front of me nodding and such when you were speaking. :)

1. That pasta looks SO GOOD.

2. I love that Neal is wearing your VB ;)

3. If I wasn’t so exhausted the weekend of the expo, I would’ve come to hear you speak. It does sound like it was poorly organized though, so I’m sorry that it didn’t measure up. Hopefully the NBC4 crew can get it together for next year!

4. I absolutely LOVE what you said about a number not defining you and your health. I was just having a discussion with someone last week about this. Now, I’m not as hardcore as you in the workout department, but I’ve been consistently working out every week for the last few years. Not only that, but my doctor always compliments me on how well my vitals are (blood pressure, heart rate, and blood test results) and even told me they can tell I work out! (and prior to getting pregnant I was 240) Lastly, even though I am hard on myself/my body for being overweight – when it comes down to it, it really never lets me down. Even though I’m pregnant and overweight, I know that a lot of the aches/pains I experience now don’t have anything to do with my weight. I know just as many very skinny people who have went through the same, if not worse, issues while they were pregnant as I have. Now, I am a huge supporter of the medical field and medicine in general, however, I love how I seem to defy the “norms” for women who are overweight and pregnant. My blood pressure has only risen slightly since becoming pregnant (though, mine is already on the low end to begin with) and I don’t experience much hearburn. Those are just 2 examples that the books and the “experts” say will undoubtedly occur if you’re overweight and pregnant, but it’s not happening to me! Anyhow – great post!!

I know that sometimes A+B=C but that isn’t always the case. Just because we’re overweight doesn’t mean we’re going to have X, Y, and Z.