As an athlete, I’ve learned over the years how to push my body beyond what’s comfortable. With highs in the 90′s, last night’s DC Divas football game pushed me beyond my comfort zone and made me focus more than I’ve ever had to focus before.
Running a half marathon was tough, competing in powerlifting was a challenge, but playing full contact football in the heat was beyond exhausting. Regardless of how I felt on the field, I had to step up to the plate each and every play.
I’m really proud of myself and learned a lot about myself last night. Once again I was reminded of how strong my body is and how important it is to push beyond my mind.
Today I’m ALL about recovering! My body is tired and sore. Resting for me includes laying down, blogging, watching TV, napping, prepping for the week ahead, and fueling my body with healthy foods.
I’m a huge fan of juicing and the nutrients juicing provides. I love juicing at home, but I also love being able to buy juices from companies as they create combinations I would never think of creating.
Last week I was introduced to a local DC juice company called Alive Juices. I’m a huge fan of local businesses and just loved learning about how and why Alive Juices started. Rachan, a programmer-turned-juice-master, created Alive Juices after his dad had a stroke in 2009. He is passionate about the nutrients juicing provides and has created delicious and healthy juices for the DC area.
Juice ingredients & health benefits:
*Big 5 – apple, ginger, garlic, sprouts and lemon
1. Positive Karma: Big 5, cucumber, celery, spinach, cilantro (promotes cardiovascular & bone health)
2. Superfoods Yog: Big 5, carrots, red bell peppers, mint (promotes vision health)
3. Low Calorie Shakti: Big 5, romaine lettuce, celery, parsley (protects against cancers)
4. Detox Mantra: Big 5, carrots, beet, kale, cilantro (controls cholesterol & promotes detoxification)
5. Guru’s Green: Big 5, romaine lettuce, bokchoy, collards, fennel (promotes immunity & colon health)
6. Green Chakra: Big 5, cucumber, swiss chard, mint (controls blood sugar & promotes digestion)
I was able to try the Detox Mantra (#4) and Low Calorie Shakti (#3), both of which were delicious! My favorite was Low Calorie Shakti. It was such a balanced juice and loved all of the ingredients in it!
Juicing is a great way to give your body a boost of nutrients, especially when you need to recover quickly! If you’re in the DC area, give Alive Juices a try! You can buy both individual juices and/or cleanses, all of which are delivered directly to you! Coffee Cake and Cardio readers will get 10% off any of their orders!
How do you recover from a tough workout or competition?
Filed under: Reviews
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!