A Little of This and a Little of That

A few months ago I started to notice a change in my palate.  Although I’ve never been the biggest fan of leftover meat, especially chicken, lately the thought of leftovers just repulses me.  While in an ideal world I’d workout, get ready for work, and cook a fresh lunch every morning before 7AM, it’s just not realistic!

In the past I’ve made a large dish on Sunday, portioning it out to use for lunches throughout the work week.  With my interest in eating leftover meat gone, I’ve had to get creative.  My sister recommended that I start packing snack like lunches, a little of this and a little of that!  A few days later I purchased some Ziploc lunch containers and got creative!

My goal with each lunch is to pack a well rounded selection of snacks, combining protein, fat, and carbohydrates. Here are a few of my lunches from the past two weeks…

Lunch

1 1/2 cups of cherries, 1 cheese stink, 1 oz almonds, and 1 packet of oatmeal (not pictured).

Lunch

1 cup blueberries, 1 oz almonds, Flatout Wrap with lunch meat and lettuce (deli meat and steak are my leftover meat exceptions…)

Lunch

1 cup blueberries, 1 oz almonds, 1 cup pickled cucumbers, 1 cheese stick, 1 granola bar (not pictured)

Lunch

1 cup blueberries, 1 oz almonds, 1 Flatout wrap with mustard, shredded cheese, and deli meat.

KeVita Drinks

I’ve also really enjoyed bringing a KeVita sparkling probiotic drink with me as well.  My favorite flavor is the mango coconut with the pomegranate in close second.  The coconut and daily cleanse are good but not as smooth as my favorites.

I’ve really enjoyed making lunches lately.  A little of this and a little of that helps to satisfy my cravings and allows me to change things up pretty easily without having to commit to the exact same lunch for 5 days.

Have you noticed a change in your palate as you’ve gotten older?

What would you recommend I add to my lunch box rotation?

Comments

These are great ideas! I have always been lost when it comes to packing my lunch. I, too, have made a large meal on Sunday to carry over into the rest of the work week. I am usually sick of that meal by Tuesday. Whoops! I love the little bit of this and that idea.

i always seem to add cheeze-its to my lunch… they’re provided for free at my office! what can i do?! your lunches look so healthy and delish. flatout wraps are the bomb, but i never buy them b/c they’re sort of pricey.

i love those kevita drinks!! my palate has definitely changed… i’m way less picky and like way more foods now that i’m older… sometimes i wish i were a bit pickier! ha

4. JULIE says

First off I LOVE the flatout flatbreads. They are great topped with pizza sauce, cheese and veggies and the wraps are so yummy. As I have gotten older, I like veggies a lot more and meat a lot less. I am 35 now and I used to have to have meat at every meal or it felt incomplete. Now I can take it or leave it.

Hello! I’m new to following you and love your blog!

Yes, my sweet tooth has taken a huge step back now that I’m mostly a healthy eater! I don’t crave cakes, cookies and overall desserts anymore and when I do, I find that the usual pieces offered to me are way to big. The one exception is a homemade funfetti cake recipe I made for my daughter and then my own bday! But I think it’s because of the amount of butter in the cake and frosting, not so much the sugar content. Keep on trucking with these awesome lunches!

Definitely! I never liked peanut butter, raisins or oatmeal until a couple of yeas ago. It’s very strange but I always remember as a child my mom insisting I try the same stuff I never liked over & over because “your taste change”. HA!

Those lunch containers are wonderful!!
    My palate has definitely changed as I’ve gotten older. Any sort of processed food tastes overly “chemically” to me…blech! I’ve also become obsessed with avocados and put them on everything…10 years ago I couldn’t stand them!

8. Lisa says

I like the snack ideas. While I don’t mind leftovers most of the time… I sure don’t want them the next day or more than once

9. Kim says

Do you like hummus? It’s a great addition to a snack style lunch. Great with veggies, pretzels, or on a flatbread with vegetables and feta.