To say I’m stressed and overwhelmed right now would be an understatement. I wake up most mornings to a laundry list of things I need to do before work and then come home exhausted to a new list of post work to-dos.
I have three baskets of clean laundry sitting on my guest bed waiting to be folded, my eyebrows are officially out of control, and I am in desperate need of a FaceTime session with my sister. I’ve been staying up way too late, getting up way too early, and feel like I’m just go, go, go all the time.
For whatever reason, back to school time is just a really hectic and stressful time of year for me. I know things will calm down and by mid September I’ll be back into a healthier routine. In the mean time, it’s really important for me to focus on the basics.
1. Sleep: I am happiest and healthiest when I get 8-9 hours of sleep a night. Though 8-9 hours Monday-Friday isn’t all that realistic right now, I know I can at least get 7.
2. Nutrition: When things are back to back to back during the day, it’s really easy for me to go hours without eating. My workaround is to pack lots of healthy snacks and to take my vitamins and supplements.
3. Caffeine: LIMIT IT!! I honestly don’t think there’s anything worse than being sleep deprived and hopped up on caffeine. I always feel horrible. Instead I have one cup of coffee in the morning, drink lots of water throughout the day, and enjoy an AdvoCare Spark mid afternoon.
4. Workout: Working out has really been my saving grace. Whether it’s running (ran 6 miles on Sunday), lifting weights, taking spin classes, training for football, or doing Turbo Fire, working out helps me to stay sane and in shape.
5. Doing Things In DC (and hosting an awesome race entry giveaway)!!
I’m inviting one lucky reader to join me for two special events in conjunction with this year’s National Press Club BEAT THE DEADLINE 5K race sponsored by Chevrolet.
First up, on Thursday evening, September 5, you’ll join me for a work out with Tony Horton, creator of P90X. Then on Saturday, September 7 you’ll also join me on Team Chevy, with a complimentary race registration, for the BEAT THE DEADLINE 5K.
BONUS: As part of the race and as members of Team Chevy, if one of us completes the race with the best time (among our fellow Team Chevy runners) we’ll be eligible for a free one-week Chevrolet Spark loan in 2013.
So, who wants to join me?!
Here’s how to enter:
In the comments section below, tell me how transportation contributes to keeping you fit….
Do you walk or bike to work? Maybe you strap the bike on the car and take a ride after work. Have you outfitted your crossover to take on two kayaks and your bike? Or are you keeping the ol’ rollerblades from collecting dust? Maybe you’re the designated carpool driver for your kickball team.
Whatever it is, share it in the comments and you’ll be entered to win a spot on Team Chevy and an invite to the Tony Horton Work Out here in Washington, DC.
The contest begins Monday, August 26th and ends Friday, August 30th. The winner will be announced here on Monday, September 2, 2013.
**The BEAT THE DEADLINE 5K benefits the ongoing work of the National Press Club Journalism Institute. The Institute is committed to helping working journalists improve their skills through ongoing training and programming of future journalists through scholarships that promote diversity within our profession. Since 2000, and with the help of the runners and sponsors, more than $700,000 has been raised to help deserving students to attend college and pursue a career in journalism. This year’s honorary race marshalls are Tony Horton, exercise trainer and creator of P90X, as well as Erika Gonzalez, reporter and anchor at News4.
Congratulations to Jennie on winning the 5K race entry! Thank you to all who entered!
Filed under: Events
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!