Eating Lean and Green For Weight Loss

After getting my body composition tested, it was recommended that I increase my protein and decrease my carbohydrate intake.  Although I’ve been told this many times before, understanding the WHY has really helped me to apply the concepts.

At first, I tracked my protein and carbs through the FatSecret app on my iPhone but I quickly realized it was just too much for me.  Tracking my nutrients makes me think about food ALL. THE. TIME!  It took me a few days to figure it out, but I decided to focus on two things: eating protein and eating vegetables.

I wasn’t going to be strict with my carb intake but decided to focus on having one serving of complex carbs each day and getting the rest of my carbs from my vegetables, fruits, and AdvoCare supplements.  I honestly can not begin to tell y’all how amazing I’m feeling these past few weeks!

First off, Thanksgiving was not an issue for me what so ever!  I enjoyed one plate of delicious Thanksgiving food and savored some amazing desserts after dinner.  I didn’t overeat and I didn’t feel bad.  It honestly was just like any other day (with a few added treats).  I have NEVER left Thanksgiving feeling that great!

Eats

When eating out, I have focused on veggies and protein, allowing the carbs to come second.  I can’t avoid them, but I can try to not have them be the star of my meal.

Eats

Lunches have ranged from brown rice sushi to salads to leftovers from dinner.  I tend to have my complex carb with lunch, so if I have brown rice with lunch then I’ll focus on veggies and protein for dinner.

Eats

Eats

Dinners have been the most enjoyable as I’ve had to get a little creative.  Because my carb serving almost always is consumed before dinner I’ve had to find ways to make my dinners low carb.  I’ve enjoyed roasted pork over veggies…

Eats

Beef burgers over vegetables…

photo 5

and a portobello mushroom “bun” burger.

Eats

I have so much energy, my workouts are going great (#365DayFitChallenge), and my sugar cravings are starting to diminish!

Spark before workout

I know everyone’s different, but I want to challenge you to think about how many carbs you’re eating each day.  For one week, try to decrease your carb intake and see how you feel… I think you’ll be surprised 1. by how many carbs you currently eat (fruit, breads, grains, vegetables, etc) and 2. how great you feel when you limit your carbs.

Again, I am NOT a doctor or a nutritionist but I really believe in the science behind using protein and fat for energy and not excess carbs.   It’s really hard to do, but once you break the addiction to the carbs (sugar), it’s pretty amazing how great you’ll feel eating lean and green for weight loss.

Comments

This is the way that I eat also. Usually one serving of starchy (but whole grain) carbs a day – I shoot for lunch. The rest of carbs I get from fruits and veggies. It makes a huge difference in both weight loss and the way you feel!

I wish I liked portobello mushrooms because that burger looks AMAZING. My husband would absolutely love that.

I left Thanksgiving feeling amazing this year as well! It’s such a great feeling to enjoy yourself and the food but not overeat drastically :) And this is definitely counterintuitive to what every nutritionist says but I actually feel better when I eat more carbs and less protein. I guess it just shows that everyone is different!

I L-O-V-E using portobella mushrooms as “buns” for my burgers since I’m grain-free. I eat Paleo to heal all the damage that I’ve done to my gut and digestive system over the years, and let me tell you– it’s all about finding substitutions. I used to eat mashed potatoes by the pound, so now, I’ve learned how to make mashed cauliflower, which is super yummy and a low carb alternative!

Keep up the great work!

4. Tara says

Your food all looks amazing, great job! I try to get most of my carbs in in the AM, usually after a workout.

Have you tried quinoa? Its a great side at dinner that will keep you full since its got good protein.
    I love to make it with chicken broth and add diced veggies. I just made some this past weekend and added chopped spinach, chopped artichokes and diced tomatos and a bit of parm cheese for flavor. Sooo good!

I get so confused about the whole “carb” thing. Any time I try to pay specific attention to it, I just get overwhelmed. The pattern I’ve settled on is to eat fresh fruit and vegetables, pretty much all day long, with meals, between meals, all the time. Refined sugars are what I avoid. Technically I avoid them because they tend to be high in WW points (my method of choice for weight management), but the side effect of avoiding the insulin spike is pretty nice.

Are you limiting your fruit intake too? I have been reading about how gluten causes stomach upset and mood issues with some people, and that’s in a lot of bread type carbs. I eat a lot of carbs, my breakfast almost always has a carb, I think it’s a comfort start to the day. I’m glad your feeling well and this is working for you! I may try to really reduce my carbs for a week to see what I think.

Hey Nicole – I am, but only because I find myself eating way more fruit than veggies. My fruit intakes has been lowered because I’m upping my veggies.

Hey Jennifer – I simply removed the stem and gills from the mushroom cap. I then added the caps to a hot pan with a little coconut oil. I just allowed the caps to cook on each side until they were cooked through. I think it took about 6 or so minutes. The burger was just a beef patty seasoned with Mrs. Dash.

7. Charmaine says

I have found out that eating low-Carb has been integral to my weight loss. I have managed to get under 200 lbs for the first time in many years this year and eating fewer Carbs has been a huge part of that- as you say, there are many yummy low-Carb meals out to be had- burgers and salads is one of our favorites.