Turning 29 wasn’t as scary as I thought it would be, but with the big 3-0 on the distant horizon, I can’t help but think about my life, my health, and my happiness. Age can be an intimidating thing, but as life has gone on, I’ve learned that with each year comes the opportunity to make more and more of this life I have.
Sometimes I get into a rut. I have coffee for breakfast, plow through the work-day, skip my workout, watch too much TV, and deny myself of the sleep I need so badly. I wish time away, missing the experiences and opportunities that surround me.
As I get older, time means so much more to me. I value the little things and I am learning to not take a single moment for granted. I still have to remind myself to slow down and to make the most of every opportunity, but I’ve constantly reminded myself of how precious life is.
Living a healthy life goes beyond eating healthy and exercising for me, though they are obviously important. I not only want to be healthy, but I want to be happy too! Here are my 10 tips for living a happy and healthy life.
1. Laugh… a LOT! Whether it’s watching YouTube videos a few minutes each day or listening to your favorite AM radio station, laughing keeps you young!
2. Eat the dessert. Just eat it, ok!?! There are far more opportunities to eat a salad than there are to eat cheesecake, so when the opportunity arises, don’t feel guilty for enjoying a little treat. Your hips will be ok.
3. Dream about your future. Pinterest is where type A people go to daydream… Create Pinterest boards for your wedding, dream home, and vacations. There’s something magical about daydreaming.
4. Do workouts you love. You don’t have to love what other people love. If you don’t enjoy step class, then don’t take it. If yoga makes you feel whole, then just take yoga. Whatever you do, do a workout that leaves you feeling on top of the world.
5. Save money, but not too much money. As important as it is to save for your future, don’t miss out on the opportunities that spring up along the way. You can’t take it with you, so enjoy a little as you go.
6. Stop trying to be everyone’s best friend. As long as you have a friend who understands you and loves you for who you are, any additional friends are an added bonus. Work on having deep and lasting friendships with a few rather than having shallow friendships with many.
7. Stand up for yourself. Love yourself. Protect yourself. Be confident in who you are… but also be willing to change the things that need to change.
8. Travel, travel, travel. Take advantage of the world around you. It’s a beautiful, beautiful place!
9. Allow yourself to be scared. You’ll never know until you try. Stop allowing your fears to control you, instead use your fears to strengthen you.
10. Love your neighbor. There is so much power in love! Love the people around you, be kind to a stranger, and be unconditional!
Our lives are what we make them and although we can’t always control our future, we can make the most of our present. How you live today will affect your health and happiness tomorrow.
- Get Old is an initiative developed by Pfizer to challenge people of all ages to rethink what it means to Get Old and take a more active role in their health and quality of life at every age. Whether it’s through watching what you eat, physical exercise, spending time with family and friends or participating in an activity you’re passionate about — each of us has the power to decide for ourselves how we want to Get Old. It’s not just about living longer, but living better.
- What are you doing to Get Old well? Tells us at GetOld.com and join the conversation on Twitter.com/GetOld and Facebook.com/GetOld.
I am participating in a sponsored campaign hosted by Pfizer and Get Old. I received compensation for this post. All opinions stated are my own.